Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My Friend, Alice

My friend, Alice, and her husband, Byron, knew the charm of Fredericksburg long before I did. Byron used to travel here on business and has fond memories of that time. Little did any of us imagine that years later my family would move here permanently.............and that Alice and Byron would follow 14 years later!!

What began as a weekend getaway became a favorite escape from the big city. Over the years were lots of conversations about building a house in the country, retiring "someday" (the always elusive "someday").....................loving their life in Dallas, but with nagging thoughts of living somewhere pretty and peaceful..........and finally, the stars aligned, all fell into place, and............ they are here!

They have settled in a beautiful home that sits on acreage overlooking the hills. They have learned about snakes and scorpions and cutting hay. They have become a two dog family (they used to be a no dog family).................and I think they are having a blast!

The whole story of how they found and bought their house is very circuitous and fun! It involves another set of friends, also with a great house, and a much longer post..................for another time.

So, the topic today is Alice's bedroom. Alice and I share a common passion for great design, color, and whimsy. We both get excited when we find something great, and sometimes buy before we think about the big picture. I know this won't shock you if you have seen my very eclectic house. Nevertheless, we buy what we love and somehow it all comes together to our liking.

When our friend, Carolyn, opened red, we both began to visit her regularly. Alice bought a fabulous new iron bed at the new store and along with the bed, fell in love with a Denyse Schmidt quilt. She had some great art and accessories that she wanted to incorporate into the room, and also wanted to bring a little red into the bedroom. I was flattered when she asked me to pull it all together for them!

With chocolate, pistachio green, and red I knew I was in for a fun project. I found a lovely "plummy", chocolate matelasse spread at Homestead Fine Linens in Hendersonville, North Carolina. I designed a bed skirt in a black and cream stripe with accents pulled from the curtain fabric. This photo gives it a weird "swooshy" look, but it is actually a simple straight skirt with a band of the same stripe on the bias along the bottom. Alice learned from our favorite pest control man that scorpions can crawl up a bed skirt, so I was instructed to have it hemmed one inch above the floor! He swears that if it doesn't touch the floor they can't get to it. No puddling bed skirts or curtains here! Some might call it skimpy, but I call it smart!


Alice had some European shams that she wanted to use on the bed, so we blended those with some others from red as well as a small custom designed pillow, also from the curtain stripe.


I chose a big green and cream check for the custom slipcovers for the chair and ottoman, crafted by our local talent Debbie Phillips of Simple Slips fame, and I designed another little custom pillow for the chair.


We used the existing iron curtain rod for the new curtains (also designed by yours truly and created by Debbie Phillips) .

The fabric is a crisp red and salmon pinstripe that pops against the pistachio green painted walls (Benjamin Moore "warren acres") I found the bed skirt fabric and the curtain fabric at a new shop here called Threads, owned by friend, Margo (it's a small town). It is a wonderful fabric shop specializing in custom bedding, pillows and vintage accessories.

The floors in this house are stained concrete. We wanted to soften them a bit, and used a Pottery Barn seagrass rug trimmed in cherry. I have a few more ideas up my sleeve - new lamps, and a new painting perhaps...........oops, Byron are you reading this?!

All in all, I think the bedroom looks very pretty and look forward to having more fun with this very unique house in the Texas hill country! I think you will be surprised to see the architectural design of this home. It is very special.

I will post more as we progress.

Meanwhile, Byron and Alice, Welcome to Fred!!

7 comments:

  1. Ann, you are the BEST writer, decorator, friend, etc.! It was so fun to read "My Friend, Alice" and flattery will get you everywhere! :) Seriously, just a note for your other readers - I have learned so much about design, color, etc. from Ann! She actually is the one who originally told us about this house several years ago! Ann, you did such a fabulous job on our bedroom - you are definitely using your talents! Will also add that Ann's "touch" is everyone in our new home, which Byron and I love, as well as all the Williams family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stumbled upon your blog, and just love this room! It's lovely. Best of luck to You and Alice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to Fred Byron & Alice! Maybe at some point in our lives we will run into each other...

    Great room! It looks lovely and I got some great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely room!

    I have enjoyed looking over your blog, especially since my husband and I love the Texas Hill Country. We recently were there for the Hill Country Tour of Homes where we got to tour beautiful houses...some with spectacular views!!

    We live in Houston and are considering a trip to Lost Maples this weekend since we read the trees are in their peak for color. I hope to stop by Frederickburg to check out the stores you mention, and hopefully locate a good place there or nearby for a quick, but tasty, meal.

    If you have any tips for places in the area we shouldn't miss I would sure appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your kind words! Kelley, hope you will come back to visit.

    lavender chick - one day, HEB, I just know it!! Either me, Alice, or Byron!

    k.g. hope you have a lovely weekend! The trees should be beautiful. You probably already know to try Rather Sweet for breakfast or lunch. If you find yourselves here at dinner time, go to Navajo Grill or Rebecca's Table.Have fun and thanks so much for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this!!! my favorite parts are the checked chairs - what fabric is that? and the wall color!!! love this - it looks wonderful - I enlarged the pictures and the dust ruffle looks completely different! weird?!!

    you are soooo talented. great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Joni. The checked fabric is not anything special - just a wonderful check that I found at "Cowgirls and Lace" in Dripping Springs - sort of a Calico Corners type store but closer to Fredericksburg. After having Homestead here for so many years, and now Threads, it is so easy to just run to those stores and find good fabrics in stock. On the photo of the bed skirt - I know, isn't that photo so strange - glad you enlarged it to see what it really looks like!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails